Our mission is to find, map, photograph and catalogue every stinkpipe in the Greater London area, though out of London is welcome too. Please send your stinkpipe pics here or to stinkpipes@gmail.com Twitter: @stinkpipes Holder of 6Music's Geek of the Week accolade, 1st October 2011

Saturday 1 October 2011

Geek Of The Week

At London Stinkpipes we are huge fans of the Collings and Herrin podcast, having been a Richard Herring fan throughout his career, and also a fairly avid follower of Andrew Collins' work from the NME days, via various magazines including The Word, to appearances all over the BBC, and not just standing in for people these days either.
This meant that the Collins and Long show, replacing Adam & Joe, is a firm favourite at LS HQ. When we heard they were running a Geek Of The Week slot, inviting nerdish obsessives to air their works, our ears pricked up. this was a chance to get stinkpipes to the world, via BBC 6Music.
So last week a call went out, via Twitter, to Andrew Collins, asking if we could be featured on the Geek of the Week slot. After numerous communications a call came from a 6Music producer, can you talk on the air in 5 minutes? Then another call, sorry, we meant 2 minutes; and then Mr Collins himself came on the line to say hello and put me at my ease. As the strains of The Smiths came to the end I could hear Long & Collins talking, then the GOTW jingle, and I was on!
I can't remember a lot about it now. I think I failed to get over the majesty of the best, elegant designs to be found on stinkpipes, and I never got asked the question I thought was a dead cert - what is my favourite stinkpipe (Fred Bird - my avatar). But I think I was coherent, didn't ramble, say anything weird, or say f**k or bugger, and responded to everything I was asked in a fairly succinct and pleasant manner.
I've had a little bit of positive feedback from twitter; but if you haven't heard it yet then listen to it here, on the iPlayer. I'm about 45 / 50 minutes in.

2 comments:

  1. OMG I had just spent ages typing you an amazing comment but when it came to posting it things went tits up and message no more....
    Lets start again.
    Congrats on being GEEK OF THE WEEK, thats where I got ur BLOGSPOT address...I listen to 6 musics podcasts and didnt even know Stink/stench pipes even existed...I live North of the river in Camden and am not aware of seeing any afore mentioned erections. are you aware of any up this way or is Sarf London their only home?
    I also have a weird passion of an everyday object that the'everyday' folk just pass on by.I obsess over a wooden public bench just off of Camden High Street. For the past 3 years Iv photographed everyone that has used that space....it started as a joke by watching really drunk/fucked up poeple ,then it got to me,that bench welcomed EVERYONE. it was used by the poor and the rich,the drunks and the addicts,the happy and the sad,the young and the old,the healthy and the sick....this 6foot by 3 foot area doesnt judge or discriminate...people just want to sit down... www.fredericksbench.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Stubags. sorry I didn't get bak to you earlier.

    Will definitely check your website out, and if I like it, and I'm sure I will, I'll put a link up in the blog.

    There are SPs north of the river. There's a few in the west, Chelsea/Hammersmith/Chiswick way, and a few in the east, Bow, Hackney, Stratford way, but nothing like the numbers I've found in south east London. apparently it has something to do with how marshy the land was/is.

    Also I live in south London so it's so much easier to find them here, than have to cross that damned river ;-)

    Thanks for getting in touch!

    ReplyDelete